If you know me then you know I LOVE LISTS!! I get so anxious about forgetting things that a list helps me calm my anxiety. Getting ready for a trip can be really stressful because there are so many little things to remember. I thought I would share with you my list to get ready for a trip…it’s a lifesaver!
MONTH BEFORE MY TRIP:
· Create a packing list and check things off as you set them aside.
· Shop for last minute necessities (clothes, toiletries, accessories).
· Make sure you have someone responsible to watch your pets. If you have plants, don’t forget them too.
· Arrange transportation to the airport. Will you drive there or get a car? Also, how will you get from the airport to your hotel?
· Decide if you’ll rent a car while you’re there and research different companies. If you’re traveling internationally, will you need any special paperwork to drive?
· Book any excursions.
· Look into whether you will need any vaccines for your trip.
· If boarding a pet, make sure they are up to date on all shots.
· Also, if traveling abroad, you may want to get some local currency from the bank. It takes about a week to 10 days to get them. It’s easier than doing it when you get to the airport.
WEEK BEFORE MY TRIP:
· Clean your house. I hate coming home to a dirty house and if I leave it for the last minute it doesn’t always get done. I try to clean it the week before and then just keep it up for the week. (Not always an easy task with kids.)
· Cancel your mail for the duration of the trip. You could always ask a neighbor to grab it for you but I find it’s just easier to have the post office hold it and deliver it the day we return.
· Pick up any medication you may need during the trip. (Don’t wait too long or something inevitably will go wrong.)
· Plan at least the first day and night of your trip. Having deciding where we’ll have dinner makes it easier to adjust to a new location.
· Make sure you have enough memory cards.
· If traveling internationally, call your bank and credit card company to give them the heads up.
· Pack your suitcases and weigh them. Check the bag weight limit of your airline.
DAY BEFORE MY TRIP:
· Charge all electronics. This includes all kid electronics as well as your own. Don’t forget to charge your camera or fill it with new batteries.
· Download movies onto your phone and tablet. This can take several hours so I often do it 2-3 days before my trip. ITunes movies are available for 24 hours after you press play. Don’t forget to download some for the return.
· Download new games onto your kids’ electronics.
· Clean out your fridge. Toss out all the stuff that will spoil or give it to a friend.
· Do one last load of dishes. Nothing is worse than the smell of dirty dishes when you get home.
· Put out clothes for the next morning. Don’t forget to put out shoes and something warm to wear on the plane.
· Do early check-in if your airline offers it.
· Make sure the bags that you will carry on are packed and ready to go.
· Email a picture of your passport and driver’s license to yourself and a family member or friend.
· Send hotel information as well as your plane itinerary to a friend or family member.
· Pack your carry-on bag and I have my kids pack their backpacks for the plane.
· Print out a copy of all travel plans including hotel confirmation emails, plane itineraries, and rental car agreement.
DAY OF YOUR TRIP:
· Take out your trash.
· Make sure everything is unplugged. (Yes…I’m paranoid!)
· Make sure all your windows and doors are locked.
· Set the central air or heat to a good temperature.
· Pack things you’ve used today but will need for your trip. (make-up, hair products, contact lens solution, etc.)
· Double check to make sure you have your driver’s license and credit card with you. (Or triple check if you’re paranoid like me.)
· Have an amazing trip and make some memories!